Dullstroom is well known to South Africans as a fly-fishing mecca, and it is also notably the highest town in the country. But fishing is not all this charming little town has up its sleeve. It has also become home to a number of fun, family orientated activities.
1. VERLOREN VALEI, located 15km from Dullstroom on the De Berg Road, is an internationally protected wetland area. This nature reserve of rolling grasslands is also the breeding place of three species of South African cranes. Field trips can be arranged. 013 254 8800
2. THE BIRD OF PREY REHABILITATION CENTRE, situated 3km west of Dullstroom on the R540, is a must visit. Enjoy live interactive flying displays from rescued and rehabilitated birds of prey. Daily shows at 10.30am and 2.30pm. 082 899 4108.
3. ANVIL ALE BREWPUB is Dullstroom’s very own craft brewery. Taste their internationally acclaimed beers, whilst having a light meal in the garden setting. Pet friendly. 073 168 6603.
4. WILD ABOUT WHISKY is probably the southern hemisphere’s best stocked whisky bar with over 1400 whisky’s on the shelves. They offer whisky, rum, gin, tequila and brandy tastings. Open daily. 082 600 5388.
5. HIGHLAND GATE GOLF AND TROUT ESTATE features a course designed by SA’s favourite golf player, Ernie Els, and was voted the 15th best course in SA in 2018, a great golfing destination. https://highlandgate.co.za
6. RUN the world’s second highest Parkrun, around the Dullstroom Dam – visit www.parkrun.co.za
7. Learn more about the history of Dullstroom by visiting the HERITAGE MUSEUM, close to the Dullstroom Inn. Open Friday, Saturday and Sunday 10am to 2.30pm. 072 651 0092
8. And of course… TRY YOUR HAND AT FLYFISHING – Dullstroom is the fly fishing capital of SA. Mavungana Fly fishing located in town offers guiding and instruction. They can supply the fishing tackle as well. Call 013 254 0270. Contact the Village Angler, 013 254 0045, for rod hire, local advice and more.
If you plan on making a weekend out of your visit, contact Dullstroom Accommodation to help you find the perfect spot OR if our charming town captures your heart, give us call 013 254 0219 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you find your perfect home.